A lovely way to use homemade pesto, like my Parmesan, Parsley and Pistachio Pesto, is this Italian flavoured dish. It is delightfully flavoursome and deceptively straightforward to prepare.
Pesto Baked Chicken with Prosciutto
8 free-range boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 or 4 shallots, peeled and quartered
1 whole head of garlic
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, halved
Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
5T Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Squeeze of lemon
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with paper.
– To stuff the chicken breasts, find the natural pocket on the underside of each chicken breast and enlarge slightly with hands or a knife. Fill the pocket with approximately 1T of pesto.
– Wrap each chicken breast in a few lengths of prosciutto. Place chicken breasts in the oven tray.
– Separate individual garlic cloves but do not peel them. Smash each clove once with the flat side of your knife, to loosen the skin slightly, and cut off the hard end. Toss the cloves into the tray with the chicken.
– Toss the peeled and quartered shallots, the sundried tomatoes and parsley into the tray.
– Drizzle generously with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
I served this with a simple spinach, basil, tomato and haloumi salad, drizzled with olive oil and white wine vinegar. Yum!