This soup is a winner. It has the perfect amount of zingy- and creamy-ness to make one’s taste buds tickle. It’s also perfect for Meat-Free Monday, and upping your family’s vegetable intake!
2 small cauliflowers, chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
Coconut oil for roasting and frying
2t carraway seeds
1 1/2t coriander seeds
1 1/2t paprika
1/2t ground chilli
500mL vegetable stock
1L (or more) water
2 lemons, zest and juice
1. Lay the cauliflower, fennel and garlic cloves in a large baking tray, and drizzle with coconut oil. Roast in a moderate oven (about 170-180 degrees celsius) for approximately 40 minutes; until tender and nutty.
2. Sauté the onion in some coconut oil to tenderise. Add all the spices and sauté until the mixture emits a heightened aroma.
3. Add the roasted cauliflower, fennel and garlic, 500mL of vegetable stock, and 1L of water. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or so.
4. Your soup is almost ready! Turn off the element and allow to cool for a bit. Pop in the lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper, and blend using a hand blender. Otherwise, if using a regular blender, be sure the lid is on securely. (Hot soup moving at fast velocity burns!) You may wish to add more water during blending, to achieve desired consistency.
5. Serve your delicious, creamy and zingy soup with a drizzle of olive oil, another squeeze of lemon juice and toasted rye bread soldiers.